We're getting ready for our 125th Anniversary!
The Boothbay Harbor Yacht Club was incorporated in 1895 by the Maine Legislature, although the Club's history dates back to 1870. From its earliest days, the club has been a racing and social center for the active summers in Boothbay Harbor. Over 100 years later, we are still actively racing through the summer and enjoying activities with an active membership at the club year-round.
We maintain a prominent role in sailing yacht racing, with a series of weekly races, junior regattas, and races most weekends of the season. In 1938, the club selected a 21' class sailboat designed by Geerd Hendel, and named it the "Boothbay Harbor Yacht Club One Design" class. Many One Designs are still sailing and racing today, and this classic boat is once again being manufactured with the active support of the members of the Boothbay Harbor One Design Association. Boothbay Harbor One Designs are regular participants in many BHYC races, and are used to this day in the club's Junior Sailing Program.
Since 1974, the Club has sponsored the Boothbay Harbor Yacht Club Regatta, a Gulf of Maine Ocean Racing Association Regatta. This two-day event draws boats from all over Maine and New England - and features a great party on Saturday night.
The Junior Sailing Program was established in 1954. Today, the Junior Program continues to be an essential part of the BHYC community, building the next generation of sailors for members and the community. Since the 1970s, tennis has been an integral part of the Junior Program, fostering an enjoyment of this life-time game.
Dedicated to growing a love of sailing, BHYC is also a US Sailing certified adult sailing center. BHYC offers classes and private instruction, open to all.
When the inner harbor became too crowded for racing, the Club leased the former Oak Grove Casino in West Boothbay Harbor. The Casino eventually grew into BHYC's new home, with a full service clubhouse with dining room and bar, the Sailing and Education Center, and docks and moorings for members and youth sailors. The tennis program was introduced in 1976 on clay courts built by former Commodore George Whitten across the street from the clubhouse. The club acquired the courts in 1993.